Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Kids' 2006 Christmas Menu

I decided to have a simple menu for the holidays this year but I still wanted to know what the kids had in mind so I asked them to come up with a wish list. Well, that's what I get for asking. They came out with quite a list, not to include their father's request for Russian salad and the ham which he already bought for me to cook. Oh, and not to forget...the shrimps will be cooked 3 different ways: tempura, steamed with a special dip, and shrimp with chili cream sauce. The lengua (ox tongue) will be cooked 2 ways (last time it was done 3 ways): with cream and mushrooms, and the other done the traditional way like my mother did...lengua estofado with brandy and fried bananas and potatoes on the side.
I'm cutting down the menu of course. I've put off making sushi for 2 or 3 years now but the kids have been asking for it ever since I made some and I don't have the heart to turn them down again. It gets a little tiring though that I hardly see what I make because as soon as I finish slicing the roll, there are already 3 or 4 hands waiting to gobble the sushi up, lol.

Like I said, this year will be a simple holiday celebration for us. They will probably be disappointed at first that they won't get everything they asked for. Well, I didn't say they'd get everything on their list.
I'm blessed and thankful that I have a good job and healthy enough to be able to provide well for my family. But I want my children to be aware that times are getting harder, and to think of others who may be less fortunate and not be able to enjoy the holidays like we will.

No comments: