Monday, January 01, 2007

It Starts with a Dream...

Whenever I read or hear the phrase "I have a dream..." I always remember Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech on his dream of freedom and equal rights for his race. I knew he said them but I never really put any thought or significance into it other than the cause he fought for.

Today I also remembered Matt Damon's e-mail to ONE members. He spoke of the teenage girl from Africa who dreamed of one day becoming a nurse that inspired him to help the people there.

Because of their dreams, people were motivated to do something to make their dreams become a reality.

As I pondered over this, I realized that my friend had once told me in one of our sentimental talks, that it was ok to dream because it gives us hope and can sometimes make us feel good. He encouraged me to describe my dreams, where I wanted to be, what I wanted to do. He knew me well. It was something I didn't want to discuss. I felt they were too far from coming true and pointless to dwell on.

But I guess they were right. A dream can inspire and motivate people to do something to make it come true. It does start with a dream. And I should start working on mine or I will one day regret that I never even tried.

2 comments:

Matthew May said...

Awesome Post Lylin, dreams are very powerful, I agree and can move us to do things we cannot even imagine yet. :)

Hope you have a wonderful 2007, my friend. :)

Lylin Aguas said...

Matt, thank you for your very nice comment. I hope you have a wonderful 2007, too.