Friday, January 12, 2007

When Will Peace Ever Prevail?

I've always been affected by so much poverty and violence that I see around me. The news I heard recently of the riots and violence in Bolivia affects me even more personally.

Early today, I received an e-mail from my sister from Cochabamba, Bolivia. She has been living there for more than 1o years now as a missionary. She asked us to pray for the Bolivians who can't seem to solve their political, social and cultural problems. There is still no dialogue among politicians, civic groups, coccaine farmers, and other conflicting groups. People are fighting using axes, canes, etc. Violence is just everywhere.

Though my sister assured us she was doing ok and that they just stay indoors and monitor develpments on tv, we of course still worry about her condition there. I hope all the violence ends soon and a compromise is made among the conflicting groups to resolve their differences.

Meanwhile, David Rubenstein of the Save Darfur Coalition sent news that a Ceasefire Agreement was forged in Khartoum. Sudan's President Bashir committed to the follwing:


> A 60-day ceasefire with an international peace summit to be held before March 15, 2007.

> Sudan's cooperation to work with the African Union and United Nations on the deployment of a hybrid peacekeeping force in Darfur.

> Ensuring "zero tolerance" policies for gender-based violence in Darfur.

> Free access for humanitarian aid workers and journalists.

It will certainly be good to hear news that peace has finally prevailed not just in Darfur, but also in Bolivia and other countries with so much violence going on.

No comments: