Monday, February 05, 2007

My Neighbors and Me...Kids Who Chose to Make a Difference


Today was one of those days again that I found myself really touched and getting a bit emotional. When I read the article about 2 very young teenagers who organized their own group to make a difference and uplift the way of life in their poor neighborhood, I couldn't have felt prouder as if I were their own parent. It makes me wish and hope that I can instill the same kind of values in my own children.

The Republic of San Marino honored UNICEF for being a leading advocate for children over the past 60 years. But what really touched me more was that through the San Marino Permanent Mission to the United Nations, the Belizean children’s group known as My Neighbours and Me, was given the San Marino-UNICEF Award in recognition of its extraordinary work in one of the many poor areas of Belize City.

What is even more stunning is that the group, My Neighbours and Me, which helped protect Belizean children against crime, violence, drugs and the spread of HIV/AIDS, was founded 2 years ago by brothers Herbert and Ashman Wiltshire, who were then just 18 and 13 years old. The group, which started behind their backyard has since grown to more than 50 members.

To quote Herbert's words, “My neighbourhood is neither scenic nor developed, and is indeed a centralized area of poverty and crime. Children growing up here are rarely exposed to productive activities. There are a lot of teen pregnancies, guns and violence.

So we had a choice: following others into drugs and crimes, turning to sex as a way of making money or trying to make a difference.”

They chose to make a difference. And every Saturday, children of all ages – some trekking long distances – gather at the Wiltshire home to participate in recreational and educational activities such as karaoke, dancing, drawing and learning how to use computers.

Herbert said, “Our backyard has become a safe congregating area for the neighborhood children. We are making sure that the children not only find joy and laughter here, but are also connected to a trusted person, with whom they can talk about abuse and sexual exploitation, the pressure of having sex or doing crimes, and discuss how to protect themselves from diseases such as HIV.”

My Neighbours and Me received $20,000 from UNICEF to help carry on their work. Herbert and Ashman are indeed true inspirations to the Belize community and children their age. They have shown how far they can go to make life better not only for themselves but also for their neighbors. They have truly proven that they CAN make a difference.

To learn more or support My Neighbours and Me, please e-mail wiltshire@btl.net.

4 comments:

Matthew May said...

Hey great news and great post, Love it!

I did a post on this, with a link to your blog, I love the work you do here. :) Thanks!

Lylin Aguas said...

Stories like this never fail to make me emotional. Thanks Matt, for always having something very nice to say. :)

unknown said...

Great post, Lylin. Another great story about the average person doing something positive to help in their own communities and then watching it grow. Thanks for the uplifting post. :-)

Lylin Aguas said...

Thanks Lorna, their stories are indeed inspiring.