Saturday, March 07, 2009

Things I Find Socially Relevant...


I'm sharing a few things that I find socially relevant...the main reason why I decided to put most of my blogs on public despite the fact that I sometimes post very personal entries about myself. It's my own little way of helping spread the word around about things I feel strongly about...


Zimbabwe's new unity government is inheriting a lot of old problems. A devastating cholera outbreak has killed more than 3,000 people, hunger is widespread, and political issues remain unresolved despite months of negotiations. ...
Make a Difference...join ONE’s Campaign by signing the petition to call on the African Union to do everything in its power to end the human rights violations against Zimbabweans and hostility towards humanitarian groups in Zimbabwe.

I've always loved Cadbury chocolates. The Company's recent move to work with the Fairtrade Foundation to help increase sales of cocoa gives me reason to love Cadbury even more. I'm posting an excerpt from their press release and related links...

Fairtrade


Cadbury and the Fairtrade Foundation, on the 4th March 2009, announced plans to achieve Fairtrade certification for Cadbury Dairy Milk, the nation’s top selling chocolate bar, by end of Summer 2009 for the UK and Ireland. This groundbreaking move will result in the tripling of sales of cocoa under Fairtrade terms for cocoa farmers in Ghana, both increasing Fairtrade cocoa sales for existing certified farming groups, as well as opening up new opportunities for thousands more farmers to benefit from the Fairtrade system.


Cadbury Chief Executive, Todd Stitzer, says, “This is an historic moment for our company. I am proud that the nation’s favourite chocolate bar will display the FAIRTRADE Mark. I was in Ghana during February and saw how vital it is that businesses support their partners and the communities they live in. We believe that by joining forces with the Fairtrade Foundation, we can further improve living standards and conditions for farmers and farming communities, and create a sustainable supply of high quality cocoa for Cadbury.”



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lylin,
Thanks for your kind words - we are very excited about it as well and we also blog about the whole journey to fairtrade.

http://cadburydairymilk.typepad.com/

we really look forward to collaborate with anyone who cares about Fairtrade and hoping to help the Fairtrade foundation to raise awareness to these issues

best wishes

Lea