Friday, February 09, 2007

I AM SHOCKED...

Ok, I just have to react to the story I read from Matt's Blog. If I didn't write it here, Matt's comment box would be filled, lol.

When I went through Matt's blog, I couldn't have been more shocked at his story about an article on three million Muslim devotees raising their hands in prayer for global peace in Bangladesh. It could have been one of the world's largest religious gatherings...a wonderful event.

What saddened Matt and certainly SHOCKED and ANGERED me was that these people were holding a prayer for world peace but women, except for the very high ranking ones, were not allowed to participate in the gathering.

To advocate world peace on one side, and then not allow women to particpate in it by virtue of their sex, on the other, is to me soooooo degrading for women and such a wrong (I softened this word) policy on women if it is one.

It also makes me realize that there is still so much we women have to fight for to live and be treated as equal of men. Why there has to be such a double standard in society is beyond me. I'm well aware that double standard exists in most societies but really...

If my children's father ever told me to walk behind him because he's man and I'm woman... I'd push him off the boat once we're at sea. He can't swim, lol.

I just had to let this out. Sorry readers.

2 comments:

Matthew May said...

Thank you for posting this, more people need to hear. And Act.

I can't see how we put up with this, I really don't.

Lylin Aguas said...

I agree Matt, and I can't fathom how leaders would even condone something like this. It's so disappointing. Thanks for your comment.