Monday, January 22, 2007

The Devoted Yakult Vendor...

As I was leaving for work early this morning , I again saw the Yakult vendor knocking at a neighbor's door to make her delivery. Sometimes I saw her twice a day near where I lived and she always caught my attention. It made me smile and think of one day asking my daughter to take a picture of her and her Yakult in styrofoam-on-wheels.

Sometimes when I saw her at nights, I could see the weariness in her body as she walked by and I felt a bit sad. Some years back, she was featured by a nationwide tv channel, not because she sells the product, but because she was able to support her family doing this. I vaguely recall whether it was said that she was given exclusive right by the Yakult company to sell their product this way, but she is the only one I've ever seen doing this. And after what seems like 20 years or more, she still does the same thing, now even extending her responsibility to supporting her granchildren. It made me wonder why her children, who are now parents themselves haven't taken her place doing this...but then again, maybe they have and are selling them in other areas.

Filipinos are clannish. Though it may be good to have close family ties, it does have the disadvantage of families sometimes abusing it and being dependent on relatives for support even when they should already be supporting themselves. This is the typical case of the Yakult vendor.

But this also shows a typical Filipina mother from the olden days who uncomplainingly and tirelessly makes sacrifices to find a dignified job to be able to support her children. There are few like her these days that I see on the streets working like she does. I have so much admiration for people like her. But I can see that she's getting old and weary, and I wish she can have a little rest from walking all day everyday just to support her extended family. She certainly deserves it after all these years of hard work and sacrifices.

2 comments:

Matthew May said...

It's great to know that people still do whatever it takes for their families. :) Thanks for a great post Lylin.

Lylin Aguas said...

Matt, yes, this woman is certainly someone to be admired for her devotion and selflessness. Thanks for the nice comment.