Saturday, January 13, 2007

Can You Live on $1 A Day?



As I struggled without success to improvise my blog template the whole day, the ad on my sidebar kept catching my attention. It said, "Can You Live on $1 A Day?" I asked myself that question, already knowing what my answer would be.

Some years back, a new Senior Vice President hired by the former bank I worked for openly showed his surprise at how small the salaries were of the rank and file. He said his tax deduction was already the salary of some rank and file, or not even. Until a salary standardization was effected bankwide just weeks ago, the same thought crossed my mind when I was hired 4 years ago and actually observed how the pioneer employees in the company were complaining about their salaries and struggling to make both ends meet.

But their problem is not even a speck of what people are going through in nations like Kenya or those living in the very depressed areas here. I've actually seen street people or scavengers at night standing by and waiting for those large black plastic bags from fastfood restaurants to be brought out for garbage trucks to pick up later. If they were lucky, they didn't have to fight with others for the leftovers.

Sometimes as I take a bite from the daily chocolate bar that I always indulge in, the thought about how these people are surviving crosses my mind. The chocolote bar is almost $1 that I spend after lunch everyday. And I wonder how many of us would really be willing to set aside a little bit of what we have for the less fortunate.

I've seen a growing consciousness in many to help in one way or another, be it in donating, starting fund-raising campaigns, calling on their government representtatives to take action, or just sharing their experiences and encouraging others to get involved.

The list of charitable organizations in my blogroll is growing longer. It's good to know that people care enough to want to make a difference.


Tags: charity donate

No comments: