Tuesday, December 05, 2006

First There Were Two...

It has never been my habit to give money to beggars on the street... even children, though there were times that I just couldn't resist. And tonight, was one of them. But after seeing what effect it had on them when I gave the money, it only convinced me more that I was helping them the wrong way.

The last few weeks, I often saw two children near the traffic light from my workplace whenever I went home at night. Tonight, there were more...four or five of them. It's no surprise that beggars on the street have multiplied lately, especially children. Since it's Christmas Season, many are hopeful that more people would give them food and money as a good deed for Christmas...and it always worked.

Tonight I did what I usually didn't...I gave money to children begging on the street. One of the children had a wet cloth and started wiping the side windows on my car. Maybe I was just emotional the last two days, but I rummaged through my bag for some coins and as I was going through my bag, another child, maybe 4 or 5 years old, came near my window and asked for money. I gave him the money. Then the other one wiping my window came near too. Since I didn't have anymore to give (I purposely only gave coins), I told them to share. But no...they both wanted everything. Then there were more. The two other kids nearby came near to get their share from the kid I gave money to (he was the smallest).

As I watched them, I felt bad and not better at what I had done. I saw them trying to grab the money from the little one, then they started pouncing on each other. I was about to blow my horn or get out of the car and get the money back when the traffic light turned green. And it was very little relief that they seemed to have calmed down and started playing again as I passed them and turned towards the highway.

I am not being selfish by not wanting to give money to these children, but it was a common thing to hear that these children had "handlers." The money never really goes to these children, it goes to the older ones who have "control" over them. Unfortunately, some "handlers" are even their own parents who send them out to beg because people would pity the children more. Or worse, some of these children at such young ages, used the money to buy strong chemicals called rugby or glue to sniff that could so easily damage their nervous systems. I have actually seen this done by streetchildren to know just how true this is. How some people can have no conscience at all to sell such things to children is beyond me.

It doesn't make me happy to see such poverty all around me. I don't think anyone is. But it is a fact that it exists. And from what I saw tonight on my way home, it made me realize all the more that giving these children money isn't the answer. They should be in shelters, given the basic necessities in life and proper guidance through education if their own parents cannot take care of them.

But there are just so many of these children. There are probably millions of them everywhere. Government couldn't do enough. I perceive this as a lack of political will, or maybe....just a lot of personal interest reigning over so many other things that need to be prioritized by implementors.

Maybe if conscience and selflessness ruled over greed, selfishness and personal interest, there will be less of these children on the streets.

1 comment:

Matthew May said...

I totally understand Lylin, I don't usually give out cash either, sometimes but very rarely. Supporting trustworthy organizations I have found to be more productive. Sometimes I just can't resist giving though.